Festool® has made a statement to its dealers that using any third-party equipment on their vacuums limits warranty claims, may interrupt the anti-static grounding pathway and may cause circuit board failures.
The inlet of Festool dust extractors incorporates a connection to the earth ground to provide a safe discharge pathway for static electricity that may be generated when wood dust moves through hose or plastic parts. This grounded inlet works in conjunction with anti-static hoses. Oneida Air wants to make certain that our Ultimate Dust Deputy® (UDD) customers understand that there is a grounding pathway that must be maintained.
Oneida Air Systems has always used static dissipating components in the Ultimate Dust Deputy® but to make absolutely certain that this path to ground is maintained at the highest level the UDD uses static conductive components. The UDD has been third-party tested to function as specified.
Oneida Air is recommending that our customers…
- USE CAUTION! Disconnect vacuum from electrical source before any of the following tests are performed.
- Use only tested anti-static components. Non anti-static hoses, couplers or connectors could interrupt the anti-static pathway.
Make certain that the ground plug in your house wall socket is properly wired and working.
- The anti-static pathway relies on the ground plug in your outlet to be functional.
- Do not use two-prong to three-prong adapters, extension cords without a ground prong, etc.
- Install the Ultimate Dust Deputy per our instructions. This will ensure the anti-static pathway is maintained.
Verify continuity through the anti-static pathway.
- Continuity can be checked using a multi-meter that reads in mega ohms. (see our third party testing results for typical resistance levels)
- CAUTION! Make sure that your vacuum is disconnected from any electrical source/outlet before proceeding.
- Check continuity from end of hose to earth ground prong on electrical plug.
- Experiencing any static problems likely means the grounding path is interrupted. Be certain this is resolved using these instructions or call us for assistance.
Using Accessories with the UDD & Festool Combination:
We recommend always using static conductive hoses and components. If a non-conductive component is used, the ground pathway must be continued via conductive tape or wire to bridge the gap between the conductive components. By bridging this gap, the anti-static grounding pathway will be maintained.